Thursday, April 11, 2013

Blog # 2 During Service


The first week Clare and I went to volunteer at the Lydia Home was definitely a new experience for me.  Since I’m the youngest in my family, I haven’t spent that much time around children, so I was quite nervous.  We had met with the director of the home, Miss Joyce, before.  She was very welcoming and helped explain what we were supposed to do.  Our job as volunteers was to play with the children during play time, and to also help them with their homework if they had any, and if they didn’t we worked with them out of a work book provided by the center. 

On the first day, we were greeted by a group of children, probably somewhere between 10 and 15.  They were all very welcoming, and some were as young as Kindergarteners, and others were as old as fifth graders.  The day was Monday, March 4, and we got there just as they were ending play time and starting to work with Awana, which is a church group that goes to the Lydia Home once or twice a week to teach the children about the bible and about God.  They were working out of their work books, reciting versus and looking up passages to answer questions about.  Clare and I teamed up to work with a fifth grade girl named Jonasai.  She had to help us understand how to work out of the books with her so that we could clear her to go on to the next page.  A lot of it has to do with reciting, which is related to remembering.  Reciting helps them to remember the versus so that they are able to understand what they’re reading about and apply it to their life.  I continued to help Jonasai with her homework that day, and sometimes we had some conflicts about what they answers were and the way in which she was doing her problems.  She had long division, and I noticed that she did an answer incorrectly and told her to look it over again.  She responded that she was doing the problem the way she was taught, and only got confused when I tried to explain it to her.  We eventually just moved on, because the conflict wasn’t that important to either of us and we were having trouble communicating and understanding each other’s different perspectives. 

That following Wednesday, we got there and Miss Joyce was very busy, so as soon as we got there the children were running wild.  Clare and I tried to persuade some of them to get started, but they didn’t want to and continued to misbehave.  When Miss Joyce came into the room, she was very upset and disappointed in the students.  She gave them a lecture about responsibility and listening, and that they should be responsible enough to know that it’s time to stop playing and start working on their homework.  Before she came into the room, the children had only been hearing but not really listening, and if they had been listening, it was only mindlessly listening and not really thinking about what they’re hearing.  Once Miss Joyce came in, they started to mindfully listen because they respect her.  After they calmed down, I work with a little boy named Keidryn.  He had a math worksheet that he had to finish before he could go and play with the other kids.  Miss Joyce put him in a separate class room away from the other kids.  This was a way to avoid all types of noise that could distract him and keep him focused.  I was able to work with him and keep him on track until he finished the worksheet, and he went to play with the other kids before we left.

With these things that I learned, in the future when working with kids, I know that I need to be understanding to the way and rate that they learn, and I also need to be sure that I communicate to them in a way that they are able to understand and know that I’m there to offer help.  The other thing is that with small children especially, it is important to try and eliminate all noise that could be distracting and keep them on track and focused on the task at hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment